Undergraduate Program - CSC Honors Program
The Undergraduate Computer Science (CSC) Honors Program provides gifted undergraduate students in computer science the opportunity to enhance their academic experience by doing research or an independent development project with faculty members, taking advanced courses, and participating in occasional meetings or events with other CSC Honors Program students. CSC Honors can be completed within the 121 credit hours required for the BS in Computer Science.
Participating in the CSC Honors program can be an enjoyable challenge. It is worthwhile for the experience itself and also earns attention from employers and graduate schools.
Students who satisfy the requirements for the CSC Honors Program will receive the following:
- Opportunity to do research, and independent development project, and/or graduate coursework in computer science
- Special designation in the departmental graduation programs
- Special recognition during the departmental diploma ceremony
- Designation on academic transcript showing the fulfillment of the CSC Honors Program
Students may apply for the CSC Honors Program if they meet the following requirements:
- Students must have completed a minimum of fifty (50) credit hours in their undergraduate program in Computer Science, including credits earned from advanced placement
- Students must have completed a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours in their Computer Science degree, including credits earned from advanced placement
- Students must have a minimum accumulated grade point average (GPA) of 3.50/4.00 at NC State
- Students must have a minimum CSC Major grade point average (GPA) of 3.50/4.00
- Students have completed a CSC 498/499 and earned a grade of ‘S’
To successfully complete the CSC Honors Program, the student must:
- Complete three credit-hours of CSC 498 - Independent Study in Computer Science OR 499 - Independent Research in Computer Science. A computer science faculty member will serve as the supervisor of this project course. Students find their own project supervisor, with the help of the CSC Honors Program coordinator and CSC advising, if desired.
- Complete 6 additional credit-hours or advanced or selective coursework, from the following options:
- independent study (CSC 498) or undergraduate research (CSC 499) - at most 6 credit hours of CSC 498/499 may count toward CSC Honors or as CSC Restricted Electives.
- undergraduate special topics classes (CSC 495), or
- classes at the graduate level (CSC 5XX)
- Submit a written report of your CSC 498/499 experience(s).
- Graduate with a 3.5 overall GPA and a 3.5 GPA in computer science.
Students who are in the CSC Honors Program but who fail to fulfill the criteria will not receive the CSC Honors Program designation. Note: This will not affect eligibility for any other commendations offered by the department or the university.
The courses mentioned above apply toward fulfilling the university and department requirements for graduation; there is no difference in the total number of courses required for graduation for computer science students who participate in the CSC Honors Program and those who do not.