Undergraduate Program - Concentration in Artificial Intelligence
The Department of Computer Science at NC State offers a concentration in Artificial Intelligence to undergraduate students majoring in Computer Science. Students in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) complete 21 credit hours of focused work on AI topics. Completing the concentration will provides students with the skills to develop intelligent and autonomous systems in multiple domains, apply machine learning and data mining to address real-world problems, and incorporate intelligent behavior into computing platforms.
PROGRAM OBJECTIVES - CONCENTRATION IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
The CSC undergraduate AI Concentration program at NC State prepares its BS graduates to achieve both the career and professional goals for the CSC degree and the following AI-specific career and professional goals:
- Apply deep expertise in both the theoretical basis and professional practice of Artificial Intelligence including core concepts and methods, technologies and practices, and ethical and policy concerns in pursuit of advanced degrees and careers.
- Professionally and ethically analyze problems and datasets to identify appropriate applications of AI and data analysis.
- Apply Artificial Intelligence techniques and practices to solve real-world problems and to make data-informed decisions in their professional work.
Upon graduation CSC students with the AI Concentration will meet the CSC student outcomes and will:
- Apply theoretical, conceptual, and professional Artificial Intelligence practices to solve Artificial Intelligence problems.
- Represent knowledge, analyze data, and interpret results for data-informed decision-making and data-driven problem-solving.
- Describe the ethical challenges associated with using Artificial Intelligence practices and skills for specific analysis situations and problems.
- Apply appropriate analysis techniques to solve problems in the Artificial Intelligence domain.
Students may apply to join the AI concentration after completing CSC 230 and CSC 316. Students wishing to enroll should have a major GPA of 3.0 or higher; however, students with GPAs between 2.75 and 2.99 will be considered depending on space.
Students complete the concentration application on the CSC Advising website. Applications are reviewed at least once per semester, typically after COE CODA decisions are completed.
PROGRAM OF STUDY
Students take all courses required for the CSC major. Concentration course selection for Restricted and Other Electives is constrained to focus on specific courses related to Artificial Intelligence and related fields. Students take the following concentration-specific courses:
- CSC 411 Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- CSC 422 Automated Learning and Data Analysis
CSC AI Restricted Electives (6 hours)
- CSC 440 Database Management Systems
- CSC 442 Introduction to Data Science
- CSC 455 Social Computing and Decentralized Artificial Intelligence
- CSC 484 Building Game AI
- Approved CSC 495 (special topics) in the area of AI
AI Restricted Electives (9 hours)
- CSC AI Restricted Electives
- Other courses from Business Management, Economics, Data Science, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, and Statistics
Students in the AI Concentration who want to take coursework outside of CSC are encouraged to enroll in the associated minor.
Click Here For Semester-by-Semester Curriculum
Curriculum Requirements for B.S. in Computer Science: AI Concentration
For more information, interested students should contact the appropriate advisor as listed on the topic chart here: go.ncsu.edu/cscadvising