Lina Battestilli received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from NCSU in August 2005, her masters in Computer Networking in August 2002 also at NCSU and her BS in Electrical Engineering and Minor in Applied Mathematics from Kettering University in 1999.
Prior to joining North Carolina State University, she was a network research engineer at the Next Generation Computing Systems at IBM Research. She worked on the PowerEN Technology, a blur between general purpose and networking processors and hardware accelerators. She identifed and studied workloads at the edge of the network that required high-throughput and fast deep-packet processing.
SInce joining NCSU in 2012, her research interests have been in innovation of Computer Science Education, effective ways of teaching Computer Science to non-majors and increasing the diversity of Computer Science students. She is also interested in Cloud Networking, Software Defined Networking, techniques and uses of Deep Packet Processing, advance scheduling of network resources, control & management plane design.
Fall 2021 Office Hours (Aug,2021 to Dec,2021) - these may be subject to change due to departmental obligations
All appointments are virtual. Please email for the zoom link for office hours if you are not enrolled in a class I'm teaching.
- Wednesdays 1:30-2:30p
- Thursday: 12:00-1:00pm
- By appointment (email to schedule).
- Cloud Computing
- Networking and Performance Evaluation
CSC Fall Courses
- CSC 113-001 LEC Intro to Comp - MATLAB T 3:00pm-4:50pm Room: 3712 Bostian Hall
- CSC 113-200 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB W 4:30pm-7:15pm Room: TBA
- CSC 113-201 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB W 6:00pm-8:45pm Room: 200 111 Lampe Drive
- CSC 113-203 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB Th 10:15am-1:00pm Room: 255 111 Lampe Drive
- CSC 113-204 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB Th 1:30pm-4:15pm Room: 255 111 Lampe Drive
- CSC 113-205 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB Th 4:30pm-7:15pm Room: 255 111 Lampe Drive
- CSC 113-206 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB Th 6:00pm-8:45pm Room: 200 111 Lampe Drive
- CSC 113-208 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB W 7:10pm-9:55pm Room: 242 111 Lampe Drive
- CSC 113-209 LAB Intro to Comp - MATLAB Th 7:10pm-9:55pm Room: 240 111 Lampe Drive
- CSC 401-001 LEC Computer Networks MW 11:45am-1:00pm Room: 2211 Textiles Complex
- CSC 492-003 LEC Senior Design Proj TTh 9:00am-10:50am Room: 1203A Engineering Building II
- NCSU DELTA Faculty Fellow - 2020-2022
- NCSU Comp. Science Person of Exceptional Performance Award - 2021
- NCSU Women & Minority Engineering Best Online Pivot Award - 2021
- NCSU Comp. Science Awesome Award for Teaching - 2021
- NCSU Equity for Women Award Nominee - 2020
- Carol Miller Undergraduate Lecturer Award - 2016
- Susan R. Fisk, Tiah Wingate, Lina Battestilli, and Kathryn T. Stolee. 2021. Increasing Women's Persistence in Computer Science by Decreasing Gendered Self-Assessments of Computing Ability. Proceedings of the 26th ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education V. 1. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 464–470. [DOI]
- Colin Moore, Lina Battestilli, and Ignacio X. Domínguez. 2021. Finding Video-watching Behavior Patterns in a Flipped CS1 Course. Proceedings of the 52nd ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 768–774. [DOI]:
- Lina Battestilli, Larry Silverberg, Jeffrey Eischen and Caleb Thomas, "CADApps: MATLAB Apps for Core Courses in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Curricula.", Proceedings of the ASEE-SE 2019, Raleigh, NC, USA, 479-484. [PDF]
- Lina Battestilli, Apeksha Awasthi, and Yingjun Cao "Two-Stage Programming Projects: Individual Work Followed by Peer Collaboration.", Proceedings of the 49th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 479-484. [DOI]
- Lina Battestilli, Terry Nelms, Steven W. Hunter, Gary Shippy, ”High Performing Scale-Out Solution for Deep Packet Processing via Adaptive Load Balancing”, Proceedings of the 18th IEEE Workshop on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks (LANMAN 2011), October 2011, Chapel Hill, NC. (best paper award)
- Lina Battestilli, Gary Shippy, Terry Nelms and Steven W. Hunter, ”Load-balancing via Modulus Distribution and TCP Redirection due to Server Overload”, IBM Patent 2010
- L. Battestilli, H. Perros, S. Chukova,” Burst Lost Probabilities in a Network with Simultaneous Link Possession: A Single-Node Decomposition Algorithm”, IET Communications, vol 3, no. 3, pp.441-453, March 2009
- Gigi Karmous-Edwards, Arun Viswanath, Douglas Reeves, Lina Battestilli, Priyanka Vegesna, George N. Rouskas, ”Edge-Recon?gurable Optical Networks (ERONs): Rationale, Network Design and Evaluation”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 27, no.12, pp. 1837-1845, June 15, 2009