Dr. Tiffany Barnes
2401 EB 3
Web Site Campus Map
Tiffany Barnes is Associate Professor of Computer Science at NC State University. She received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in Computer Science and Mathematics, and the Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from N.C. State. A member of Phi Beta Kappa and the NC State Golden Chain Society, she has served as Chair (2008) and Program Chair (2009) of the Educational Data Mining conference, Chair of the STARS Celebration conference (2011 and 2015), Program Chair (2014) for the Foundations of Digital Games conference (2009), the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education Board (2010-2016), the Board of Directors for the International Educational Data Mining Society (2011-2016), Associate Editor for the Journal of Educational Data Mining (2008-2010), and Guest Editor for the IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications Special Issue on Serious Games (2009). Dr. Barnes received an NSF CAREER Award for her novel work in using data and educational data mining to add intelligence to STEM learning environments. Dr. Barnes is co-PI and current Executive Vice President for the STARS Computing, a consortium of universities that engage college students in outreach, research, and service to broaden participation in computing. Her research focuses on educational data mining, serious games for education, health, and energy, and broadening participation in computing education and research.
- Advanced Learning Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents
- Computer and Video Games
- Graphics, Human Computer Interaction, & User Experience
|PhD||2003||North Carolina State University||Computer Science|
|MS||2000||North Carolina State University||Computer Science & Mathematics|
|BS-honors||1995||North Carolina State University||Computer Science & Mathematics|
- CSC 226-002 LEC Discrete Math CSC TTh 3:00pm-4:15pm Hunt Library Auditorium
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early CAREER Award - 2009
Published Journal Papers (fully refereed)
- Karen Bean, Kim Buch, Teresa Dahlberg, Tiffany Barnes, Audrey Rorrer Cagley. (2014 in press). An Innovative Partnership between National and Regional Partnerships: STARS Meets McPIE. In Press. Prism, http://encompass.eku.edu/prism/
- Richard Burns, Wanda Eugene, Tiffany Barnes, Stephen Chandler, Megan Harwell, Osarieme Omokaro. (2014). Reflections from a computational service learning trip to Haiti. The Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, 29(3), pp. 43-50, January 2014.
- John Stamper, Michael Eagle, Tiffany Barnes, and Marvin Croy. (2013). Experimental evaluation of automatic hint generation for a logic tutor. Intl. Journal on AI in Education (IJAIED), Volume 22(1-2): 3-17 (2013).
- Sabarish V. Babu, Evan Suma, Larry F. Hodges and Tiffany Barnes. (2011). Learning cultural conversational protocols with immersive interactive virtual humans. The International Journal of Virtual Reality, 2011, 10(4): 25-35.
- John Stamper, Tiffany Barnes, and Marvin Croy. 2011. Enhancing the automatic generation of hints with expert seeding. Int. J. Artif. Intell. Ed. 21, 1-2 (January 2011), 153-167.
- Samantha L. Finkelstein, Andrea Nickel, Zachary Lipps, Tiffany Barnes, Zachary Wartell, Evan A. Suma. (2011). Astrojumper: Motivating Exercise with an Immersive Virtual Reality Exergame. Presence 20(1): 78-92 (2011).
- Teresa Dahlberg, Tiffany Barnes, Kim Buch, and Audrey Rorrer. 2011. The STARS Alliance: Viable strategies for Broadening Participation in Computing. Trans. Comput. Educ. 11, 3, Article 18 (October 2011), 25 pages.
- Dahlberg, T., T. Barnes, K. Bean, & K. Buch. (2010). Engaging under-represented computer science students in service: An innovative course and case study findings. Computer Science Education, volume 20 (issue 3), September 2010, pp. 169-180.
- Barnes, T. & J. Stamper. (2010). Automatic hint generation for logic proof tutoring using historical data. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, Vol. 13, Issue: 1- Special issue on Intelligent Tutoring Systems, pp. 3-12.
Fully Refereed Papers in Conference Proceedings
- Michael Eagle, Vinaya Polamreddi, Behrooz Mostafavi and Tiffany Barnes. (2014). Exploration of student's use of rule application references in a propositional logic tutor. Educational Data Mining (EDM2014), London, UK, pp. 249-252. (short paper)
- Barry Peddycord III, Andrew Hicks, and Tiffany Barnes. (2014). Generating hints for programming problems using intermediate output. Educational Data Mining (EDM2014), London, UK, pp. 92-98. (Acceptance rate: 17%)
- Michael Eagle, Tiffany Barnes (2014). Exploring differences in problem solving with data-driven approach maps. Educational Data Mining (EDM2014), London, UK, pp. 76-83. (Acceptance rate: 17%)
- Michael Eagle, Tiffany Barnes (2014). Survival analysis on duration data in intelligent tutors. Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS2014), Honolulu, Hawaii, June 2014, pp. 178-187. (Acceptance rate: 31/177: 17.5%)
- Andrew Hicks, Barry Peddycord III, and Tiffany Barnes. (2014). Building games to learn from their players: Generating hints in a serious game. Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS2014): 312-317. (short paper)
- Andrew Hicks, Veronica Catete, Tiffany Barnes. (2014). Part of the game: Changing level creation to identify and filter low quality user-generated levels. Foundations of Digital Games (FDG2014), Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 3-7, 2014. (full paper, 38/86, 44% acceptance rate)
- Andrea Nickel, Tiffany Barnes, Jamie Payton, Erik Wikstrom. (2014). Balancing physical and cognitive challenge: A study of players psychological responses to exergame play. Foundations of Digital Games, Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 3-7, 2014. (Exemplary Paper, 14/86, 16% acceptance rate)
- Veronica Catete, Katherine Wassell, Tiffany Barnes. (2014). Use and development of entertainment technologies in after school STEM program. SIGCSE 2014: 163-168.
- Matt Johnson, Michael Eagle, John Stamper, Tiffany Barnes. (2013). An algorithm for reducing the complexity of interaction networks. Educational Data Mining (EDM 2013): pp. 248-251.
- Matt Johnson, Michael Eagle, Tiffany Barnes. (2013). InVis: An interactive visualization tool for exploring interaction networks. Educational Data Mining (EDM 2013): pp. 82-89.
- Wanda Eugene, Shaudra Daily, Richard Burns, and Tiffany Barnes (2013). Building technology fluency: Fostering agents of change. 120th ASEE Conference (ASEE 2013), Atlanta, GA, June 23-26, 2013. paper #6069. Online: http://www.asee.org/public/conferences/20/papers/6069/view
- Amy Shannon, Acey Boyce, Chitra Gadwal, Tiffany Barnes. (2013). Effective practices in game tutorial systems. 8th ACM Foundations of Digital Games FDG 2013: 338-345. Best paper nominee.