Rudra Dutta was born in Kolkata, India, in 1968. After completing elementary schooling in Kolkata, he received a B.E. in Electricial Engineering from Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India, in 1991, a M.E. in Systems Science and Automation from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India in 1993, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA, in 2001. From 1993 to 1997 he worked for IBM as a software developer and programmer in various networking related projects. He was employed from 2001-2007 as Assistant Professor, from 2007-2013 as Associate Professor, and has been employed since 2013 as Professor, in the department of Computer Science at the North Carolina State University, Raleigh. During the summer of 2005, he was a visiting researcher at the IBM WebSphere Technology Institute in RTP, NC, USA. He is married, has two children and lives in Cary, North Carolina with his family. His sister's family live in Kolkata, India.
His current research interests focus on design and performance optimization of large networking systems, Internet and IoT architecture, software defined networks, and network analytics. His research has been supported recently by grants from the National Science Foundation, the National Security Agency, and industry, including an active JUNO (Japan-US Networking Opportunity) grant from NSF. He has served as a reviewer for many premium journals, on NSF, DoE, ARO, and NSERC (Canada) review panels, as part of the organizing committee of many premium conferences, including Program Co-chair for the Second International Workshop on Traffic Grooming, Program Chair for the Optical Networking Symposium at IEEE Globecom 2008, General Chair of IEEE ANTS 2010, and TPC Co-Chair of IEEE Sarnoff Symposium 2017. He served on the editorial boards of the Elsevier Journal of Optical Switching and Networking, and the Springer Photonic Communication Networks journal, and served as guest editor of a special issue on Green Networking and Communications of OSN. At NCSU, he serves on the MentorRings program, on the University Standing Committee on Extensions, Engagement, and Economic Development, and is currenty serving on the nomination committee for the Computer Science Department Head search.
- Data Sciences and Analytics
- Embedded and Real-Time Systems
- Networking and Performance Evaluation
• Ph.D., Computer Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA, August 2001.
“Virtual Topology Design for Traffic Grooming in WDM Networks”, Advisor: George N Rouskas
• M.Engg System Science and Automation, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, January 1993.
“Extended Back-Propagation Algorithm for Training Multi-Layer Perceptrons”, Advisor: M N Murthy
• B.Engg., Electrical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, July 1991.
“Artificial Neural Networks: A Study of Match Region Non-Convexity”, Advisor: Tapan K Ghoshal
CSC Spring Courses
- CSC 791-021 LEC Advncd Topics CSC - Internet of Things: Appl & Imp TTh 10:15am-11:30am Room: 1226 Engineering Building 2
- CSC 791-022 LEC Advncd Topics CSC - Software Defined Networking TTh 11:45am-1:00pm Room: 1229 Engineering Building 2
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Distinguished Engineer - 2016
- IEEE Senior Member - 2015
Recent publications (for full list see my own website):
- Cooperative trajectory planning in an intercommunicating group of UAVs for convex plume wrapping
Angelyn Arputha Babu John, Rudra Dutta
In Proceedings of 38th IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, 2017
- Evaluating Different Pricing Algorithms for a Flexible Optical Choice-Based Network
R Udechukwu, R Dutta, T Miyazawa, H Harai
In Proceedings of 2017 26th International Confrence on Computer Communication and Networks (ICCCN)
- Collaborative botnet detection with partial communication graph information
HP Joshi, M Bennison, R Dutta
In Proceedings of 38th IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, 2017, New Jersey, September 2017