Rudra Dutta was born in Kolkata, India, in 1968. After completing elementary schooling in Kolkata, he received a B.E. in Electrical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, in 1991, a M.E. in Systems Science and Automation from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India in 1993, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA, in 2001. From 1993 to 1997 he worked for IBM as a software developer and programmer in various networking related projects. He has been employed from 2001 - 2007 as Assistant Professor, from 2007 - 2013 as Associate Professor, and since 2013 as Professor, in the department of Computer Science at the North Carolina State University, Raleigh. As of Fall, 2018, he is serving as Associate Department Head on an interim basis. During the summer of 2005, he was a visiting researcher at the IBM WebSphere Technology Institute in RTP, NC, USA. His current research interests focus on design and performance optimization of large networking systems, Internet architecture, wireless networks, and network analytics. He is a senior member of IEEE and a distinguished member (distinguished engineer) of ACM.
His work has been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation, the Army Research Office, the National Security Agency, and industry, most recently including a PAWR grant from NSF (the AERPAW project: aerpaw.org). He has served as a reviewer for many premium journals, on NSF, DoE, ARO, and NSERC (Canada) review panels, as part of the organizing committee of many premium conferences, most recently as General Co-Chair for the IEEE Sarnoff Symposium in 2019. He previously served on the editorial boards of the Elsevier Journal of Optical Switching and Networking, and the Springer Photonic Communication Networks journal, for several years. At NC State, he has previously served at various university committees, most recently on the University Standing Committee on Extensions, Engagement, and Economic Development, and currenty serving on the University Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee.
He is married, has two children and lives in Cary, North Carolina with his family. His sister and her family live in Kolkata, India.
- Data Sciences and Analytics
- Embedded and Real-Time Systems
- Networking and Performance Evaluation
• Ph.D., Computer Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA, August 2001.
“Virtual Topology Design for Traffic Grooming in WDM Networks”, Advisor: George N Rouskas
• M.Engg System Science and Automation, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, January 1993.
“Extended Back-Propagation Algorithm for Training Multi-Layer Perceptrons”, Advisor: M N Murthy
• B.Engg., Electrical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, July 1991.
“Artificial Neural Networks: A Study of Match Region Non-Convexity”, Advisor: Tapan K Ghoshal
CSC Spring Courses
- CSC 591-081 LEC SP Topic CSC - Network Architecture and Orche TTh 6:00pm-7:15pm Room: 2232 Engineering Building 3
- CSC 791-054 LEC Advncd Topics CSC - Network Architecture and Orche TTh 6:00pm-7:15pm Room: 2232 Engineering Building 3
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Distinguished Engineer - 2016
- IEEE Senior Member - 2015
Recent publications (for full list see my own website):
- "Aerial Experimentation and Research Platform for Mobile Communications and Computing", by
Vuk Marojevic, Ismail Guvenc, Rudra Dutta and Mihail Sichitiu, in IEEE Globecom 2019 Workshop on Computing Centric Drone Networks.
- "Improved P2P Botnet Community Detection: Combining Modularity and Strong Community", by Harshvardhan P Joshi and Rudra Dutta, in IEEE Globecom 2019.
- "Increasing Network Resilience to Persistent OSPF Attacks", by Russell Meredith and Rudra Dutta, in ICC 2019 - 2019 IEEE International Conference on Communications.
- "A Graded Approach to Network Forensics with Privacy Concerns," by W. Brockelsby and R. Dutta, in 2019 International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC).