Rudra Dutta was born in Kolkata, India, in 1968. After completing elementary schooling in Kolkata, he received a B.E. in Electrical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, in 1991, a M.E. in Systems Science and Automation from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India in 1993, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA, in 2001. From 1993 to 1997 he worked for IBM as a software developer and programmer in various networking related projects. He has been employed from 2001 - 2007 as Assistant Professor, from 2007 - 2013 as Associate Professor, and since 2013 as Professor, in the department of Computer Science at the North Carolina State University, Raleigh. As of Fall, 2018, he is serving as Associate Department Head on an interim basis. His current research interests focus on design and performance optimization of large networking systems, Internet architecture, wireless networks, and network analytics. He is a senior member of IEEE and a distinguished member (distinguished engineer) of ACM.
His work has been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation, the Army Research Office, the National Security Agency, and industry, most recently including a PAWR grant from NSF (the AERPAW project: aerpaw.org). He has served as a reviewer for many premium journals, on NSF, DoE, ARO, and NSERC (Canada) review panels, as part of the organizing committee of many premium conferences, most recently as General Co-Chair for the IEEE Sarnoff Symposium in 2019. He previously served on the editorial boards of the Elsevier Journal of Optical Switching and Networking, and the Springer Photonic Communication Networks journal, for several years. At NC State, he has previously served at various university committees, most recently on the University Standing Committee on Extensions, Engagement, and Economic Development, and currenty serving on the University Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee.
He is married, has two children and lives in Cary, North Carolina. His sister and her family live in Kolkata, India.
- Cyber Security
- Data Sciences and Analytics
- Networking and Performance Evaluation
- Ph.D., Computer Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA, August 2001. “Virtual Topology Design for Traffic Grooming in WDM Networks”, Advisor: George N Rouskas
- M.Engg System Science and Automation, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, January 1993. “Extended Back-Propagation Algorithm for Training Multi-Layer Perceptrons”, Advisor: M N Murthy
- B.Engg., Electrical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, July 1991. “Artificial Neural Networks: A Study of Match Region Non-Convexity”, Advisor: Tapan K Ghoshal
CSC Fall Courses
- CSC 570-001 LEC Computer Networks MW 4:30pm-5:45pm Room: 1231 Engineering Building 2
- CSC 801-001 PRB Sem Computer Sci F 9:35am-12:20pm Room: 1231 Engineering Building 2
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Distinguished Engineer - 2016
- IEEE Senior Member - 2015
Recent publications (for full list see my own website):
- Harshvardhan Joshi, Rudra Dutta, “Improved P2P Botnet Community Detection: Combining Modularity and Strong Community”, in Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom), 2019.
- V Marojevic, I Guvenc, M Sichitiu, R Dutta, “An Experimental Research Platform Architecture for UAS Communications and Networking”, in Proceedings of IEEE 90th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2019-Fall).
- Vuk Marojevic, Ismail Guvenc, Rudra Dutta, and Mihail Sichitiu, “Aerial Experimentation and Research Platform for Mobile Communications and Computing”, in Proceedings of the Computing Centric Drone Networks Workshop, IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom), 2019.
- Russell Meredith, Rudra Dutta, “Increasing Network Resilience to Persistent OSPF Attacks”, in Proceedings of IEEE ICC 2019.