Year-end CSC Pig Pickin' - Food, Fun and Awards
Thanks to corporate sponsor Cisco Systems, and support from the Engineers Council and Student Government, the CSC Pig Pickin’ has grown from a small event to a large, much-anticipated department tradition.
In addition to the slow-cooked pig, fried chicken, sweet tea, potato salad, and side dishes were provided. Vegetarian fare was supplied by Women in Computer Science (WiCS). Entertainment included a Computer Science vs. Electrical Engineering ultimate Frisbee tournament, a water balloon toss, board games, and a raffle. Raffle items included two iPod minis, Best Buy gift certificates, ThinkGeek products, as well as a wireless radio system donated by Cisco Systems.
Faculty awards, voted on by students, were given out in the following categories:
- Best Lecturer: Jason Schwarz
- Most Helpful Professor Outside of Class: Dr. David Thuente
- Most Helpful Staff Member: Dr. Barbara Adams
- Bitzer Creativity Awards, for two students who went above and beyond what was required in the classroom: Mike Grace and Sina Bahram for their work in making the CSC 333 proof checker program accessible to visually impaired students.
- College of Engineering Senior Award Nominees: Tyler Johnson, Sammie Carter, Nathaniel Horner, Travis Cornwell.
“Ad Hoc” Awards, given based on anonymous nominations from faculty, staff and students:
- Student, Chris Belcher, for his success as the Engineering Career Fair director and attracting numerous corporate representatives.
- Staff member, Ken Tate, for his work in building external partnerships, helping students find jobs, fostering the interest of companies in Senior Design projects, and helping gain corporate sponsorship for events such as the annual CSC Pig Pickin’.
- Staff member, Carol Allen, for her 25+ years of service, her devotion to students, performing overlooked tasks such as organizing student registration PIN numbers and putting together diplomas for graduates.
The department extends special thanks to our sponsors, ACM/AITP officers, and Joyce Hatch for making the CSC Pig Pickin’ such a success!
Return To News Homepage