Dr. Jessica Young Schmidt is an Associate Teaching Professor in the Department of Computer Science at North Carolina State University. She is a two time graduate of the department and received her Ph.D. in August of 2012. After completing her Ph.D., she taught in the College of Computer and Information Sciecne at Northeastern University for two years before returning to NC State. Her research interests are in computer science education and active learning. She serves as a faculty co-advisor for the student organization ACM/AITP. Since Spring 2017, she has contributed to the department as an Accreditation (ABET) Co-Coordinator.
Office Hours Calendar
- Software Engineering and Programming Languages
Ph.D., in Computer Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 2012.
M.S., in Computer Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 2009.
B.S., in Computer Science and Mathematics, Roanoke College, Salem, VA, 2007.
CSC Fall Courses
- CSC 116-602 LEC Intro Comp - Java TTh 8:30am-10:20am Room: Distance Education - Online
- CSC 116-603 LEC Intro Comp - Java TTh 10:40am-12:30pm Room: Distance Education - Online
- CSC 226-001 LEC Discrete Math CSC MW 8:30am-9:45am Room: 1103 James B Hunt Jr Centenni
- Sarah Heckman, Jessica Young Schmidt, and Jason King, "Integrating Testing Throughout the CS Curriculum," The 1st International Software Testing Education (TestEd) Workshop, 2020.
- Jessica Young Schmidt, "Reviewing CS1 Materials through a Collaborative Software Engineering Exercise: An Experience Report,"The 51st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE ’20), 2020. Third Best Paper for the Experience Reports and Tools Track
- Ana Vila-Parrish, Tameshia Ballard Baldwin, Tzvetelina Battestilli, Hailey Queen, Jessica Young Schmidt, and Sue Carson. "TH!NK: A Framework to Assess and Support Critical and Creative Thinking," American Society for Engineering Education Proceedings, 2016.