I run into some interesting quotes from time to time. I thought
I'd begin to assemble them here. I am not sure yet as to the purpose
this collection will serve. Ideally, it will entertain and edify
Philosophy of life
- Oscar Wilde: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are
looking at the stars. (This was a favorite of my father's.)
- Erich Fromm: Creativity requires the courage to let go
- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross: People are like stained glass
windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out. But when
darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a
light from within.
- Bertolt Brecht (from Life of Galileo) The aim of
science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom, but to set a
limit to infinite error.
- Immanuel Kant: Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is
- Max Planck: A new scientific truth does not triumph by
convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather
because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up
that is familiar with it.
- Jonathan Kozol: Pick battles big enough to matter, small
enough to win.
- Abba Eban: A consensus means that everyone agrees to say
collectively what no one believes individually.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut: In theory, there is no
difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there
- Roald Dahl (from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse
- Oliver Wendell Holmes: A moment's insight is sometimes
worth a life's experience.
- Alfred Kazin: In a very real sense, the writer writes to
teach himself, to understand himself; the publishing of his ideas,
though it brings gratifications, is a curious anticlimax.
- Blaise Pascal: The last thing one finds out when
constructing a work is what to put first.
- Salman Rushdie: Books, if you don't put them first, tend to
sulk. They retreat into a corner, and refuse to work.
- Maxwell Perkins: Just get it down on paper, and then we'll
see what to do with it.
- Pablo Picasso: When I work I relax; doing nothing or
entertaining visitors makes me tired.