Undergraduate Minor in Computer Programming
The Department of Computer Science offers a Minor in Computer Programming to undergraduate majors in any field except Computer Science and Computer Engineering. The objectives of this minor are to: 1) encourage students to combine computing with their own disciplines, 2) promote quality in programming techniques, and 3) give graduating seniors with a minor in computer programming an added advantage in the job market.
- Completion of 21 credit hours.
- All courses in the minor must be completed with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- E 115 Intro. to Computing Environments (1 cr)
- MA 121 Intro. to Calculus (or any college calculus course)
- CSC 116 Introduction to Computing - Java (3 cr)
- CSC 216 Programming Concepts (3 cr)
- CSC 226 Discrete Mathematics for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
- CSC 230 C and Software Tools (3 cr)
- CSC 236 Computer Organization and Assembly Language for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
- CSC 246 Concepts and Facilities of Operating Systems for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
- CSC 316 Data Structures for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Admission to the Minor Undergraduates will be admitted to the Minor in Computer Programming only after they have completed CSC 116 and CSC 216 with a C or higher, and have an overall GPA of at least 2.25. Students should submit the application for the Minor in Computer Programming to the CSC Coordinator for Academic Minor, as listed below, who will be the minor adviser.
The contact person listed below will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student's final semester at NC State.
Dr. Barbara Jasmine Adams
Assistant Director of Advising
Department of Computer Science
NC State University
890 Oval Drive, Box 8206
1204C - Engineering Building II
Raleigh, NC 27695-8206